How Can I Easily Attain A US Green Card For My Family?

How Can I Easily Attain A US Green Card For My Family?

Many people live in the United States, but their families are living in some other countries. They always think about whether they will be able to bring them to the U.S. or not. Immigrants can bring their family members to this country, but one needs to follow specific criteria and regulations. It is a total myth that if one migrant gets a green card, he will make the whole family a citizen of the United States.

How Do I Get A US Green Card For Spouse?

The process is quite more complex and time taking than it looks. If you want to get a family based green card for United States, you have to sign a petition, also known as a sponsor.

Application Process for Green Card

  • Fill the Form I-130 or Petition for Alien Relative
  • Provide all the proofs and documents to demonstrate that you are a permanent U.S. resident.
  • Submit the evidence to prove your relationship with the relative. Provide the birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc. and other documents.
  • Submit proof of legal name change of you and your family and other beneficiaries.

To Whom You Can Sponsor

  • If you are a U.S. citizen above the age of 21 years, then you can petition your parents and spouse under the category of an immediate relative.
  • If you want to sponsor a minor or a child, you must file a petition under the category of an immediate relative.
  • If you want to sponsor married children or adults, then they will come under the category of 1st or 3rd preference relative.
  • You are a U.S. citizen above the age of 21 years and want to sponsor your brothers and sisters. You can file the petition under 4th preference relative.
  • If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., then you can file the petition for your children and spouse under the 2nd preference.

This is the list of people you can sponsor and help them come and stay in the United States. The list doesn’t include grandparents, aunts, cousins, in-laws, and other extended family members.

Preference Categories and Waiting Period

There are specific preferences you need to follow to petition your relatives.

  • Immediate Relative: the relatives in this category receive the Green card in few months only.
  • First Preference: In this, your relatives will have to wait for at least six years to receive the green card.
  • Second Preference (2A): For Spouse and minor children, there is no waiting period. But, apart from the others, I have to wait up to two years.
  • Second Preference (2B): For your unmarried children above 21 years of age, have to wait for six years.
  • Third Preference: Your married children and their families have to wait for over thirteen years to receive the card.
  • Fourth Preference: Your brother and sisters have to wait for fourteen years, and if they are from India, the time may extend up to 16 years.

All these waiting periods are just an average, there may be some fluctuation in the years, but the fourth preference has to wait for the longest to receive the green card. These are some US Green Card Requirements that you need to follow to get your family green card.

Free Immigration
Assessment Form